National Margarita Day, Cinco de Mayo, National Tequila Day, or Taco Tuesday? It’s margarita time! Enjoy the best margarita recipes.
I love a good margarita, and I’m very picky about them. I love amazing tequila and don’t use cheap tequila even in a margarita—and I believe you can taste the difference. I want good tequila and creative flavors. I realized, as National Margarita Day and Cinco de Mayo, and National Tequila Day roll around each year…that I had never shared some of what I consider to be the best margarita recipes. Here are a few you can make at home, or stop by and order one at the locations shown. When I travel, I challenge myself to seek out the best margarita. Do you have a favorite margarita? Be sure to share it in the comments below.
Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita at Mexico’s Pueblo Bonito
I have had the opportunity to sip margaritas at Pueblo Bonito Golf & Spa Resorts, and I recommend it. Everyone needs some Vitamin Sea and tequila now and then. When you can’t get there, you can try this creative cocktail courtesy of mixologist Eufemio Vega of Quivira Steakhouse.
- 1½ oz Blanco Tequila
- 1 oz Agave Honey
- ¼ gram Cucumber
- ¼ gram Basil
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- ½ oz Pineapple Juice
- .02 grams Tajin (seasoning mix)
Preparation of Glass
- Cut a slice of lemon, and run the wedge along one side of the glass rim.
- Sprinkle tajin on a plate and pass the rim of the glass over it to coat.
- Make thin cucumber slices with a peeler and intertwine them to form small mosaics to decorate the glass (see photo).
- Use another slice of cucumber to create a ribbon by folding the slice back and forth and securing it with a toothpick. Set aside for the garnish.
Preparation of the Cocktail
- In a cocktail shaker (or any container you can close and shake), add the basil leaves, seedless cucumber pieces, lemon and pineapple juices, agave syrup, and a small piece of jalapeño pepper to the shaker. Allow to sit for 30 seconds.
- Pour the Blanco tequila and ice into the shaker and shake for 10 seconds. If you have a cocktail shaker, shake it until the shaker is icy cold on the outside.
- Place a few ice cubes in the serving glass; strain the margarita over the ice.
- To finish, garnish with your cucumber ribbon.
Raspberry Habañero Margarita at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa is another great resort offering unique cocktails. If you’re in San Antonio, stop by Cibolo Moon at the resort to order this margarita, which features housemade raspberry habañero-infused tequila, Patron Citronge, lime juice, and agave. Or you can make it at home and use the infused tequila for multiple margaritas!
- 1½ oz Raspberry Habañero Infusion
- ½ oz Patron Citronge
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Agave
- Prepare a 12 oz margarita glass by salting the rim. Add ice to the glass.
- In a mixing glass (cocktail shaker), combine all ingredients.
- Strain the mix over ice in the glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and float three raspberries on top.
Creating the Tequila Infusion
- Choose your tequila and flavors: Use 100% Blue Agave silver or Blanco tequila. Blanco tequilas work best because they are un-aged, thus are the freshest and can take on the most flavor. Herbs, spices, and fruits are most commonly used for infusions. For best results, use only fresh ingredients.
- Prepare the ingredients: Choose a clean, airtight jar—a quart-sized Mason jar works best. Wash the ingredients, place them inside the jar, and fill it with tequila. Shake a few times and cover tightly with a lid. For raspberries and citrus, wash and slice thinly. For peppers, score and leave whole or cut in half. Leave the seeds in for a spicy kick, or remove them for less spice.
- Infusion time: Store your infusion in a cool, dark place and shake it a few times a day for the duration of the infusion. On average, the ingredients should stay in the tequila for 3 to 5 days. Some of your more intense flavors will only need 3 days; less intense flavors should stay in the jar for a full week or more. You should do a taste test every few days to see if the flavors are sufficient.
OCHRE Margarita at Sheraton Dallas Hotel
If you are in Dallas, I recommend stopping by Open Palette and Draft Sports Bar & Lounge at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel. Situated in downtown Dallas, this is a great hotel to make as a home base when you explore DFW. If you cannot stop by the bar for this one, it’s a good one to whip up at home.
- 2 oz Reposado or Añejo tequila
- ¾ oz Amaro Nonino
- 1 oz Lime juice
- ½ oz Agave
- Maldon Smoked Sea Salt
- Fresh Lime Wheel
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of a rocks glass and rub the salt mix onto the rim.
- Fill the glass with fresh ice and set aside.
- Build all of the margarita ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Strain into the rocks glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel, and enjoy!
Blood Orange Hibiscus Mezcal-arita from UNITY
Have you tried UNITY beverages? These are low-calorie, CBD-infused plant-based drinks. While they are great on their own, they are ideal for a cocktail, including this blood orange margarita made with Mezcal instead of tequila.
- Juice from half of a lime
- 1½ oz Mezcal (you can use reposado tequila if you don’t like the smokiness of mezcal)
- ½ oz Triple sec or Cointreau
- 4 oz Blood Orange Hibiscus UNITY
- 1 oz Agave
- Dash of salt
- Sliced blood orange to garnish
- Crushed hibiscus flowers to garnish
- Rub a lime wedge around the edge of a margarita glass and then rim the glass with salt. Set aside.
- Combine the lime juice, mezcal, triple sec, UNITY, agave, and salt in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds until the outside of the shaker is cold.
- Strain into the margarita glass.
- Garnish with blood orange and hibiscus flowers.
|Top Top||JEKOSEN Crystal Margarita Cocktail Glasses 9 Ounce Set of 4 Premium Strong Lead-Free Clear Party Drinking Glasses||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top Top||Mexican Design Hand Blown Margarita Glass – Set of 4 Luxury Hand Blown Confetti Margarita Glasses 4.5 x 4.5 x 6" (16 oz) by The Wine Savant||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top Top||Simple Modern Cocktail Martini Shaker with Jigger Lid Gift Set | Vacuum Insulated Boston Mixer Stainless Steel | Compatible with Classic Tumbler Collection | Midnight Black||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top Top||24oz Cocktail Shaker Bar Set - Professional Margarita Mixer Drink Shaker and Measuring Jigger & Mixing Spoon Set - Professional Stainless Steel Bar Tools Built-in Bartender Strainer for Martini Kit||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Maldon Salt, Smoked Sea Salt Flakes, 4.4 oz (125 g), Kosher, Natural, Gently Smoked Over Oak, Handcrafted, Gourmet, Pyramid Crystals, 2 Count||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Tajín Clásico Chile Lime Seasoning Rimmer 4.23 oz||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Ball Wide Mouth Mason Jars 32 oz. (12 Pack) - Quart Size Jars with Airtight Lids and Bands for Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, or DIY Decors and Projects - Bundled with Peaknip Jar Opener||Prime||Buy Now|
Mezca-Fresca Margarita from Santo Mezquila
Guy Fieri and Sammy Hagar got together in Cabo San Lucas and created Santo Spirits. They offer the world’s only Mezquila, a blend of tequila and mezcal. This super bright cocktail uses fresh fruits and takes you to the beach in Cabo.
- 2 oz Santo Mezquila
- ½ oz Cointreau
- 2 oz Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz Strawberry puree
- 1 oz Simple syrup
- Quartered strawberries for garnish
- Lime wheel for garnish
- Rim a 16 oz glass with raspberry salt blend, fill with ice, and set aside.
- Fill a mixing glass or shaker 2/3 with ice and add Mezquila, Cointreau, strawberry puree, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Cap the mixing glass with a shaker tin and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Strain contents from shaker tin into rimmed 16 oz glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and strawberries.
Best Margarita Recipes from Flecha Azul Tequila
Flecha Azul Tequila is crafted in Jalisco, Mexico, and the family has processed tequila the same way for over a century. The harvested piñas are cooked in traditional masonry ovens so that you can taste the difference with Flecha Azul Tequila. Here are two delicious recipes, definitely a must for your list of the best margarita recipes, that use both the Blanco and the reposado.
El Coco Carlos
El Coco Carlos is a delicious tropical blend of tequila and coconut.
- 2 oz Flecha Azul Reposado Tequila
- ½ oz Cointreau
- 1 oz Coconut water
- ¾ oz Fresh lime juice
- ½ oz Agave syrup
- Orange wedge
- Start by muddling an orange wedge in your shaker.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into the shaker and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a salted rocks glass over one giant cube of ice.
- Garnish with an orange spiral.
I love anything watermelon. When you blend it with a great Blanco tequila, this is one of the best margaritas you’ll find.
- 1½ oz Flecha Azul Blanco
- 1 oz Agave syrup
- ½ oz Fresh lime juice
- 4 oz Watermelon cubes (seeds removed)
- Chamoy and Tajin rim
- Watermelon garnish
- Combine Flecha Azul Blanco, agave syrup, lime juice, and watermelon cubes with ice and shake in a shaker.
- Strain into a Chamoy and Tajin-rimmed glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with a watermelon slice.
Watermelon Frozen Margarita from Onda
Let’s continue the watermelon theme, but how about a frozen margarita? This one is from Onda, a line of canned tequila seltzers. This one is easy because you whip it all up in the blender. Onda focuses on high-integrity, natural ingredients.
- 1 Watermelon Onda
- 4 cups Watermelon, pre-cut and frozen
- 1 shot Triple Sec
- 1 shot Tequila
- Juice of a fresh lime
- Salt for the rim
- Add one Watermelon Onda (or your favorite brand of watermelon water), frozen watermelon, triple sec, tequila, and lime juice in a blender.
- Blend together the ingredients.
- Rim glass with lime, dip in salt, and pour in cocktail.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Articles Related to the Best Margarita Recipes
- The Best Spring Cocktail Recipes
- Cool Summer Cocktails
- Time to Chill: Great Spring & Summer Cocktail Recipes
- Fun Summer Cocktails
- The Best Tequila Cocktails
- Beat the Heat With Four of the Best Mai Tai Recipes
- Tequila Flights are the New Wine Tasting
- Sampling El Paso’s Margarita Trail
Even More Great Cocktail Recipes
I hope you enjoy this sampling of some of the best margarita recipes. Be sure to check out Wander for more great cocktail recipes—made with tequila and a variety of other spirits. Do let us know about your favorite margaritas. Cheers!