We here at Wander With Wonder love the Girl Scouts and are happy to support the Girl Scouts—Arizona Cactus-Pine Council and the return of its award-winning Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge. For the fourth year in a row, chefs from some of the state’s most popular restaurants will use their culinary prowess to re-imagine one of the beloved flavors of Girl Scout cookies—Do-Si-Dos, Samoas, Tagalongs, Thin Mints, Trefoils, Toffee-tastics and Savannah Smiles—into a custom dessert menu item. Each restaurant has agreed to feature its dessert on its menu from February 1 to February 28, 2017, with a portion of the proceeds from each dessert sold directly supporting Girl Scouting in our community here in Arizona. Some of our favorite restaurants across the Valley and in Flagstaff are offering some amazing desserts this month and we hope you make it in and try them.
They also hope to inspire home cooks across Arizona to buy an extra box or two this Girl Scout cookie season to create their own desserts and that’s where we here at Wander With Wonder come in. Those Girl Scout Cookies will be available from January 23 to March 5 this year. You can buy yours online from our very own special Girl Scouts, 6-year-old first-time cookie seller Morgan or 9-year-old cookie veteran Zoë. Or, if you want to find a cookie booth near you, you can find more information online by visiting girlscoutcookies.org. Once you have your cookies, we encourage you to try the recipes the chefs have shared—or create your own Girl Scout Cookie creation.
Participating Restaurants and the Special Desserts
There are restaurants across the Valley of the Sun and in Flagstaff that are reimagining the classic Girl Scout cookies and creating fun desserts. Here are the participating restaurants and their creative desserts. A few of the restaurants are also sharing their recipes, so that you can recreate their special creations at home. We’ve added a few of those below so you can try them.
347 Grill at the UltraStar Multi-tainment Center at Ak-Chin Circle
The UltraStar Samoa Brownie Parfait is $3.95. Designed by Frank Abeyta using Samoas.
16000 N. Maricopa Road
Char Kitchen + Bar
Chocolate Mousse with Thin Mint Crumble is $8. Designed by Peter and Pal Micakaj using Thin Mints.
6107 N. Scottsdale Road
Thin Mint Cheesecake is $5.99. Designed by Neal “The Chomper” Borenstein using Thin Mints.
All Valleywide Locations
9301 E. Shea Blvd, Scottsdale
4550 E. Cactus Road, Phoenix
9301 E. Shea Blvd, Scottsdale
1160 E. University, Tempe
7700 W. Arrowhead Town Center, Glendale
3481 W. Frye Road, Chandler
Savannah Smile ice cream is $3.50 for a regular scoop; $3/kid’s scoop; $4.50/double scoop; $5.50/triple scoop; $7.50/pint; $14/quart. Designed by Jada Shiya using Savannah Smiles.
5223 N. Central Avenue
Compass Arizona Grill at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Tagalong Crunch Bar is $8. Designed by David Duarte using Tagalongs.
122 N. 2nd Street
Recipe for Tagalong Crunch Bars
Courtesy of Compass Arizona Grill
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 2 oz Water
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 oz Corn Syrup
- 3 TBSP Butter
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 oz Vegetable Oil
- 5 oz Pretzels
- 1 box Tagalong cookies
- 18 oz Milk Chocolate
- 1 ¾ lbs Dark Chocolate
- 4 cups Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
For Topping Garnishes:
- ¾ cup Peanuts
- 1½ cup Mini Pretzels
- ¾ cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 box Tagalong Cookies, chopped
Preparation for Praline:
- Prep 2 sheets of parchment paper, each lightly oiled with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat water, sugar, corn syrup, and butter to 280 degrees.
- Remove from heat and add peanuts, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Quickly stir together and pour onto parchment.
- Place second sheet of parchment on top of mixture and use rolling pin to flatten out.
- Allow to cool completely before proceeding.
Preparation for Bars:
- Crush pretzels, 1 box of cookies, and praline with food processor. Pour into a bowl.
- Add oil to crushed mixture and toss until well combined. Set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt milk chocolate and add to mixture. Stir.
- Line a half-sheet pan with plastic wrap and place parchment on top of plastic.
- Spread milk chocolate mix over parchment until half sheet is completely covered.
- Allow milk chocolate to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat cream in small saucepan until almost boiling. Pour over dark chocolate.
- Add peanut butter and stir until mixture is well combined.
- Pour over milk chocolate crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle with toppings.
- Leave in freezer until solid. Cut into bars while frozen.
- Let bars come to room temperature and enjoy.
Coup des Tartes
Thin Mint Chocolate Tarte is $9. Designed by Ron Pacioni using Thin Mints.
1725 E. Osborn Road
Drexyl Modern American
Tagalong Cookie Dark Chocolate Sphere is $11. Designed by Scott Paget using Tagalongs.
8877 N. Scottsdale Road
Flower Child—All Valley Locations
Toffee-tastic Chocolate Pudding is $5. Designed by Peder Bondhus using Toffee-tastic.
100 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix; 480.212.0180
10460 N. 90th Street, Scottsdale; 480.240.4400
5013 N. 44th Street, Phoenix; 602.429.6222
Fresko Mediterranean Kitchen
Melopita (Greek Honey Cake) is $4.50. Designed by Janna Harris using Savannah Smiles.
5033 E. Elliott Road
Phoenix (Ahwatukee), AZ
Recipe for Melopita
Courtesy of Fresko Mediterranean Kitchen
Makes 1 pan that yields 8 each (shelf life of 4 days)
- 4 oz Butter
- 9 oz Savannah Smiles
- 2 ea Lemon zest
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 lb Ricotta cheese
- 2 ea Eggs
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 TBLS Lemon juice
- ½ cup Lemon zest
- ½ tsp Salt
Streusel (4 cakes)
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Flour
- 1 TBLS Water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- For the crust, grind cookies in robocoupe. Place in bowl and add lemon zest, salt, and softened butter. Combine well.
- For the filling, place all ingredients in robocoupe except lemon zest and let blend for 5 minutes. After well combined, mix in lemon zest.
- For the streusel, place all ingredients in robocoupe and pulse until a crumble has been achieved.
- Assembly: Spray pan with pan coating. Mold crust on the bottom of the pan and 1½ inches up sides of the pan.
- Pour filling in the pan making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle streusel over filling evenly.
- Place cake on sheet pan and place in 350-degree oven covered with sheet pan.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes. Remove sheet pan and continue to cook for another 40 minutes.
- Place in walk in to cool.
- When cake has cooled, remove from pan and cut into 8 pieces.
Jalapeño Inferno – All Valley Locations
Girl Scout Banana Cream Pie is $5. Designed by Terry Craig using Trefoils.
20825 N. Pima Road, Scottsdale; 480.513.8332
23587 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale; 480.585.6442
Lumberyard Brewing Company (Flagstaff)
Strawberry Shortcake Parfait is $4.95. Designed by Richard Kimball using Trefoils.
5 S. San Francisco Street
Olive + Ivy
Trefoil Cherry Cheesecake Gelato is $3.25 per scoop. Designed by Kelli Sappington using Trefoil.
7135 E. Camelback Road
Proof Canteen at the Four Seasons Scottsdale Resort Troon North
Triple Decker Do-si-do Delight is $10. Deisgned by Calena Srutowski using Do-si-dos.
10600 E. Crescent Moon Drive
Rhythm & Wine
Girl Scout Banana Cream Pie is $5. Designed by Terry Craig using Trefoils.
7605 E. Pinnacle Peak Road
Recipe for Girl Scout Banana Cream Pie/White Chocolate Mousse
Courtesy of Rhythm & Wine
- 4 Pasteurized Eggs
- 3 TBLS melted, unsalted Butter
- ½ cup + 3 TBLS Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 oz Shaved White Chocolate
- Fresh Bananas, sliced thin
- Girl Scout TREFOILS cookies, crushed and whole for garnish
- Separate egg white from yolks.
- Whisk together the yolks, butter and sugar.
- Whisk cream in separate bowl until soft peaks form; add 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites; add 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Fold the whipped cream into the yolk mixture.
- Fold the egg whites to the above mixture.
- Slowly melt chocolate in double boiler. Mix in.
- Place mixture in large bowl, refrigerate for around 4 hours.
- Fold mixture into crushed cookie lined skillet or glass, top heavy with mousse mixture.
- Garnish with thin sliced bananas artfully arranged.
- Garnish with whole cookies and caramel sauce.
Or skip all the above, go to Rhythm & Wine and order with a glass of chilled Chardonnay!
Rusconi’s American Kitchen
Chocolate Chunk Samoa Pecan Pie is $8. Designed by Dave Rico using Samoas.
10637 N. Tatum Blvd.
Silver Pine Restaurant at the Little America Hotel (Flagstaff)
Samoa Tiramisu is $8. Designed by Vanessa Ronspies using Samoas.
Inside the Little America Hotel
2515 E. Butler Avenue
Sorso Wine Room
#MintHappens Chocolate Mint Cheesecake Mousse is $7. Designed by Paige Murphy using Thin Mints.
15323 N. Scottsdale Road
The Crepe Club
Tag-a-Crepe-Along is $7.95. Designed by Omar Tarabichi using Tagalongs.
Biltmore Fashion Park
2502 E. Camelback Road
Recipe for Tag-A-Crepe-Along Crepe
Courtesy of The Crepe Club
Makes approx 18-20 crepes
- 5 cups Flour
- 8 cups Milk
- ½ cup Butter
- 4 TBSP Sugar
- 4 TBSP Powdered Sugar
- 3 cups Liquid Eggs
- 3 tsp Salt
Mix dry ingredients together. Melt the butter. Put milk and eggs in a deep bowl. Using a hand immersion mixer, incorporate about 1/3 of the dry mix into the liquid. Add the butter and add another 1/3 of the dry mix. Mix until smooth. Add the last 1/3 of the dry mix and leave the hand mixer in the batter for 10 minutes. Strain the batter through a wood handle strainer into a new bowl. Use a spatula to scrape the strainer to prevent it from getting clogged.
Ingredients for 1 Crepe
- 4 Tagalongs cookies
- 3 TBSP Nutella
- 2 TBSP Peanut Butter
- ½ Banana (sliced)
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of Nutella and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter with 3 crumbled Tagalong cookies to be used for filling. Add filling to cooked crepe while on hot griddle or pan. Add in banana slices. Fold crepe, and allow enough time for filling to melt and bananas to warm up. Serve on a plate. Top by drizzling remaining Nutella and peanut butter, along with 1 crumbled Tagalongs cookie.
Samoa Doughnut with Toasted Coconut Cream Filling is $3 per doughnut. Designed by Lucia Alferez using Samoas.
4455 E. Camelback Road
The MARKET by Jennifer’s Restaurant + Bar
Twixted Trefoil Bar is $10. Designed by Jennifer Russo using Trefoils.
3603 E. Indian School Road
Minty Oh! is $4.25. Designed by Susan Kolman using Thin Mints.
9393 E. Bell Road
T.A.G. (Tagalongs Are Great) Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich is $5. Designed by Christopher Collins using Tagalongs.
8220 N. Hayden Road
We would love to see photos of your own dessert creations or photo of you and your family tasting any of the chefs’ creations. Be sure to tag us on Instagram (wanderwithwonder) and use #dessertchallenge and #wanderwithwonder.
As part of the #dessertchallenge, Wander gave away two gift cards, one to Chompie’s and one to Rusconi’s American Kitchen. One lucky winner was Brad, who is off to Chompie’s and the other is Sara who is heading to Rusconi’s. Enjoy!