Looking to ring in 2014 with a new you, or at least a new drink in your hand? Look no further. We—and our pals in the booze business—are happy to help you expand your cultural horizons, one drink at a time. From an exotic take on an Arnold Palmer to an apple orchard in a glass to an X-rated cocktail, we’ve got your New Year’s Eve beverage needs covered. Bottoms up!
Courtesy of Olive & Ivy
- 2 ounces chai concentrate
- ½ ounce honey syrup
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 2 ounces Maker’s Mark
- Cinnamon sugar
- Shake and pour.
- Add ice if necessary.
- Top with lemonade.
- Garnish with lemon and cinnamon sugar.
Sage & Honeysuckle Royale
Courtesy of Little Cleo’s
- ½ ounce honey
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce sage liqueur
- 3 ounces sparkling wine
- Lime peel
- Give first three ingredients a quick shake.
- Add sparkling wine.
- Garnish with a lime peel.
Arcadia Orchard Cocktail
Courtesy of Beckett’s Table
- 3 ounces Woodchuck Hard Cider
- 1 ½ ounces Harvest Spiced Caramel Syrup (recipe to follow)
- 1 ½ ounces Old Fitzgerald or other bourbon
- Splash pineapple juice
- Calvados float
- Ground nutmeg
- Golden raisins
- Amarena or razz cherry for garnish
Caramel syrup ingredients:
- 1 quart sugar
- 1 pint water
- 1 sticks vanilla, scraped
- 1 crushed nutmeg
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 4 each of star anise
- 1 teaspoon whole clove
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- Place the sugar in a medium sized pot and place on a low-heat burner. Stir often to prevent burning.
- In another pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Once the sugar becomes a translucent brown liquid, remove from the heat and slowly stir into the boiling water.
- Next, add the spices and remove from the heat.
- Allow the spices to steep until the liquid becomes room temperature.
- Strain the liquid and it will be ready to use.
- Fill a mason jar (or pint glass) with ice, add hard cider and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the caramel syrup, bourbon and pineapple juice to ice and shake until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the hard cider and float Calvados over the top.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, add raisins and cherry to garnish.
Spiced Apple Sidecar
Courtesy of True Food Kitchen
- ½ ounce Juiced apple juice
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- ¼ ounce simple syrup
- 1 ½ ounces mulling spiced brandy
- Apple slices for garnish
- Shake well.
- Pour into glass.
- Garnish with apple slices.
Courtesy of RA Sushi Bar Restaurant
- 1 shiso leaf
- 1 ½ ounces Skyy pineapple vodka
- 1 ounce X-Rated Fusion Liqueur
- ½ ounce yuzu syrup
- ½ ounce lemon sour
- Strawberry for garnish
- In a mixing tin, muddle shiso leaf.
- Add remaining ingredients, then shake.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with half of a strawberry.
Courtesy of Z’Tejas Southwestern Grill
- 1 ounce Cuervo Cinge
- ¾ ounce 1800 Anejo
- 1 ounce Monin Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 ounce half & half
- ½ ounce Kahlua
- Combine all ingredients (except Kahlua) in a cocktail shaker.
- Top with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Top with ½ ounce Kahlua.
Courtesy of Alibi American Whiskey
- 2 ounces of Alibi American Whiskey
- ½ ounce of Grade B maple syrup
- Lemon wheel, studded with cloves
- Cinnamon stick
- 3 ounces of hot water
- Combine Alibi American Whiskey, hot water and maple syrup in a mason jar.
- Add hot water.
- Garnish with lemon wheel and cinnamon stick.